Wednesday, December 27, 2006
List of people who died in the bathroom
The following is a list of people who are alleged to have died in the bathroom, or in places (bath houses) or taking actions (taking a bath) that are associated with a modern day bathroom. In the case of earlier people, the legends may be inaccurate.
- Eglon, King of Moab, Old Testament, killed by Ehud (stabbed in the bowels) while relieving himself in his private chamber. Judges 3:1-31
- Agamemnon, distinguished hero of Greek mythology during the Trojan War, slain by his wife Clytemnestra alone in a bath, a piece of cloth or a net having first been thrown over him to prevent resistance.
- Seneca the Younger (ca. 4 BC – AD 65) committed suicide in his bath, according to Tacitus.
- Marcus Aurelius Commodus Antoninus (August 31, 161 – December 31, 192) strangled in his bath, by the wrestler Narcissus.
- Elagabalus, Emperor of Rome (203 - 222), murdered by the Praetorian Guard, along with his mother, Julia Soaemias, in the Emperor's latrine, where the pair had gone to hide
- Arius of Alexandria, founder of Arianism (256 - 336), died of a flux of his bowels, possibly as the result of poisoning
- James I, King of Scotland (1394 - 1437), murdered while trying to flee through his bathroom into the sewers. A lady-in-waiting, Lady Catherine Douglas, attempted to keep the door closed to protect the King, but the killers smashed down the door and broke her arm.
- Lenny Bruce, American comedian (1925 - 1966), died of a morphine overdose in the bathroom of his home in Beverly Hills, California
- Charles Chaplin Jr., American actor (1925 - 1968), died of a brain embolism on the floor of his grandmother's bathroom
- Thomas Merton, American Trappist monk and author (1915 – 1968), died by being accidentally electrocuted in his bathtub in a hotel in Bangkok.
- Judy Garland, American actress and singer (1922 - 1969), died of a drug overdose in the bathroom of her London house
- Jim Morrison, American singer (1943 - 1971), died in the bathtub of his hotel in Paris, reason of death, unknown.
- Elvis Presley, American singer (1935 - 1977), died of a heart attack in the bathroom of his home, Graceland, in Memphis, Tennessee
In addition Catherine the Great, Empress of Russia (1729 - 1796), is rumored to have died while sitting on the toilet. In reality, she was found unconscious in a closet and died of a cerebral hemorrhage in her bedroom the next day.
See also Toilet-related injury ; This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article "List of people who died in the bathroom". This entry is a fragment of a larger work. Link may die if entry is finally removed or merged.